Ricardo ‘fox’ Pacheco
DRKN met up with the veteran e-sports pro Ricardo ‘fox’ Pacheco. With his colorful, humble charm and his strong AWP plays he has been a staple of the international CS:GO scéne for several years, something that has also turned him into a living legend in his own country Portugal. Gaming has been an integral part of his 31 year old life ever since he was a kid and he has no intention to slow down any time soon.
Where did you grow up?
-I grew up in Guimarães. It’s one of the biggest cities here in Portugal. But it doesn’t have the same kind of “craziness” you’d see in Lisbon or Oporto. I love it because of that. It’s big enough that it has everything one could need, plenty of different people to meet, etc, but it’s much calmer than those cities.
What was your family like? Any brothers or sisters that you played with?
-Yes. Me and my brother actually played competitively in the same team at one point. Both in 1.6 and in CS:GO.
When did you realise that gaming was your thing?
-Well I started playing when I was very little and straight off the competition always had me. Even when we were young playing at the local internet café we competed amongst each other. But only a little later was when I realized I could make a living off of this. Especially when I left K1ck and joined Kinguin, at the time.
Where do you think you got your competitive drive from?
– I guess I just enjoyed competing from an early age. Knowing you are better than someone and proving it to everybody is just super motivating for me.
What about all the other stuff that is going on in Portugal, I mean the beach, surf, skate and football culture?
– Well I’m not into surf and skating at all. Here in Portugal the most beloved sport, by far, is football. But gaming became my thing you know. I just loved it. I fell in love with the game, competing and just being able to play with my friends. It kept pushing me forward and trying to be better.
How did you first get in contact with the competitive gaming scene and what did you do to get noticed?
– I was playing in a local cyber café with several friends. At the time we heard about several tournaments here in Portugal which gave out a few prizes. We just got together, formed a team and started playing. Within 3 months of playing together we were a top team here in Portugal.
You have been a widely recognised pro for many years now, what drives you to keep pushing?
– I’m not gonna lie and say that the financial aspect of the competitive scene in CS isn’t motivating. But it isn’t the most important thing. The fact I still feel like improving and competing is motivation enough. Also being recognized by my fans is also very motivating. Feeling like they follow my career with care and passion, makes me super happy and pumped to keep playing at this level.
What has been your favourite tournament to date?
-Probably the ELEAGUE Major 2017 that I played with SK. The team I played with was amazing. The tournament venue was amazing. Everything was just on point. Wish I could’ve won it.
Any fun pro stories to share?
– Once in an ESL afterparty, I got so drunk I actually walked out to the street and caught a cab…going absolutely nowhere. I ended up like 10 miles from the hotel, completely lost. Had no freakin idea where I was. To this day I have no clue where I went and even how I got back to the hotel is still a bit of a mystery to me.
What is it about DRKN that you connect with?
– I just really dig the clothing line’s vibe. Everything about it says me. It’s different, it’s unusual, it’s comfortable, it’s stylish. I’m proud to be a gamer just by the fact that I can do what I love.
What other stuff are you you really passionate about in life?
– Well one of them you can tell: tattoos. Been a fan my whole life. Then I would say bikes. Love them since I was kid when my dad kinda “introduced” me to them. And last but certainly not least, my 1-year old son. He’s been a blessing for me and I just love being a father, it’s a wonderful experience. Difficult, but wonderful, at the same time.
OK thanks for the chat man, any final thoughts for all your fans out there? And what are you up to right now?
– Just thank them for the continuous support and love. I just left the team Tempo Storm and joined Giants Gaming as their team captain so I’m super excited about that. We will see what the future holds!
Make sure to follow fox at his instagram @foxcn543